AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is there a way to alter symbology size using arcpy? 

Question asked by dglafrance on Aug 1, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 by dglafrance

I am creating a GeoPDF using TerraGo.  Point symbologies scale nicely when zooming within ArcMap, but once I export to GeoPDF the size of a point symbology relative to the underlying raster becomes fixed.  As I zoom within Adobe Acrobat Reader, the point symbol becomes bigger and bigger.

I can counter this by replicating the point layer once per PDF zoom level (e.g. 100%, 125%, 150%, etc.) and making each layer visible only at the appropriate range.  I then set the pixel size for each layer (e.g. 10, 8, 6.67, etc.)  This works great when I do everything in ArcMap.  However, I would like to script this using arcpy.  I can replicate the layer and set the scale range using arcpy, but I would like to also set the symbology size so that the whole process could be automated.

As a workaround, I can create and save a set of layers by hand, then use a script to copy their symbologies into my new layers.  I would need to do this for each style (shape, color, classification, etc.) I intend to use.  With the wide variety of options available, especially for color ramps, this approach is severely limiting.  All I really need to do is change the pixel size of an existing layer.

Is there a way to do this?

Outcomes