Convert Feature or Lyr Package Service to WMS in ArcGIS Online>

07-31-2016 12:04 PM
deleted-user-W17i9rKaOdiH
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Is there anyway to publish or expose a feature or lyr package that was published to an ArcGIS Online Organizational account for use in a WMS?

The reason is that I would like to incorporate a layer that I published and symbolized in ArcGIS Online in Tableau. If I just try to use the layer URL, I get an error (See attached), which makes me think I need to adjust the URL to be WMS compatible.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The way to share WMS services on ArcGIS Online is to use ArcGIS Desktop to create layer files or layer packages which you can easily add to ArcGIS Online.

Check the following link for further details.

Sharing WMS services via ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

Think Location
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

Thanks for your response.

I also saw that article and was going to reference it but decided against it because it is from 2010 and the work flow did not provide what I am seeking, unless I am doing something incorrectly, which is entirely possible.

The lyr package appeared in my ArcGIS Online Contents after I published it but there is no associated URL in the any of the tabs in the Item Details and I could not even add it to the Map View.

If you look at the comments at the bottom of the article, it seems that other users had the same experience that I did in discovering that this method only allows for sharing with ArcGIS Desktop users.

Please correct me if I at error and let me know where in ArcGIS Online I can find the WMS URL for the layer.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the clarification.

It seems ArcGIS Online doesn't have a WMS Server of its own, yet. It just registers a WMS Service that is hosted in a different WMS Server.

If you want to create a WMS service using your desktop data (I assume you do not have ArcGIS Server Standard/Advanced license), you could install GeoServer and publish the WMS service.

Download - GeoServer

Think Location
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

That's a great work around. I will give it a try. Thank you!

0 Kudos