ArcGIS Pro 1.3 Scale Bar

07-25-2016 01:02 AM
AnttiMansikka1
New Contributor

I am inserting a scale bar to my map layout. The tool generates objects that appear to be empty scale bar frames, but not scale bars. Could it be that the Scale Bar tool (Map Surrounds) is not working correctly in 1.3 version? Or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It seems to be working for me, but I do have a layer with a known coordinate system specified.  Here is the procedure I used

Layout_scalebar.png

0 Kudos
AnttiMansikka1
New Contributor

Thank You, Dan.

It seems the procedure works for You but not for me, and I also have my map in a known coordinate system.

Regrettably my scale bars keep on looking like this:

Thanks for the advice, though.

B.R.

Antti

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well at least the scalebar is there... that leaves the units, and the extent of your map layer ... can your report those since it may be that km is not the right unit to choose, (try meters or something scaled appropriately)

0 Kudos
AnttiMansikka1
New Contributor

It is possible to choose the scale and units in ArcGIS Desktop, but ArcGIS Pro doesn't seem to offer that, at least not in the GUI. I also tried different map extents and coordinate system (base maps' 'Web Mercator' and 'EurefFIn TM 35 Fin'), but that didn't help.

Maybe I'm just too old to switch from desktop to ArcGIS Pro...

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

you can change the units under PROJECT in the top left corner

Then OPTIONS

and finally UNITS.

Did it work for you?

0 Kudos
AnttiMansikka2
New Contributor

Hi Hector!

Thanks for the tip, but changing units in the PROJECT tab didn't bring any result either.

B. R.

Antti

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what are the coordinate systems of the layers in the map? are the layers all feature classes or do you have a oher types like basemaps or event layers?

0 Kudos
AnttiMansikka2
New Contributor

Hi guys!

I opened a totally new project just to test the Scale Bar tool, and now it is working fine.

The reason for the malfunction dwells in the ArcGIS Pro project document that I was working. I couldn't find out what was causing it (tested the map units, the extent, and the coordinate system) but in the document there are several Network Analyst analysis layers, which are memory objects and less conventional map layers than feature classes are. Might that be why? Anyway I'm happy I got it working in another project.

b.r.

Antti

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked, ... I am not sure about the memory mapped objects being an issue, I will have to add that to the list of checks.  And yes, a reboot and restart might move up the pecking order of things to do first.  Thanks for the update

0 Kudos