How do I add this tile layer to an ArcGIS Online scene?:

07-21-2016 04:34 PM
EvanThoms
Occasional Contributor II

http://tiles.gina.alaska.edu/tiles/SPOT5.SDMI.ORTHO_RGB/tile/{x}/{y}/{z}.png

The title asks it all and there's the url. So, can it be done?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EvanThoms

Still wondering... It looks great in Cesium web globe. Can I do the same thing in ArcGIS Online?

I could have sworn someone showed me how at the Dev summit this past spring, but I can't find any notes and I can't make it work.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Haven't messed with globe, but have you looks at

Info: SPOT5.SDMI.ORTHO_RGB_aa

and the list  Complete list of Tile Sets

I'd be curious on what you come up with.

0 Kudos
EvanThoms

Interesting, I didn't know about those services. I tried to add a URL and I just got the same error, that is, 'The value entered is not valid', with no explanation of what exactly would make it valid.

Do you know about the GINA web layers github repo, from which I got the address I was trying?

GitHub - gina-alaska/gina-map-layers: Layer definitions and apis for accessing GINA map tiles

Update: I think I finally found the problem. On this page - Choose global or local—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS - there is the explanation that tile layers have to be published from an ArcGIS server, which is annoying because when I was at the developer summit and mentioned to an ESRI person that I had tried using the GINA tile layers with Cesium, he asked 'Why would you use Cesium?'. I didn't have a great answer at the time, but now I do.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not sure if any of this will help, but...

http://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=owner:gina.uaf

0 Kudos
EvanThoms

Thanks Rebecca,

No, sorry, there's nothing there would change anything I am trying to do.

As you may know, the GINA WMS address for the SPOT imagery (SDMI.ORTHO ) does work in both ArcMap and ArcGlobe, so that's good. But as for making an online globe app that displays those GINA web tile layers over elevation, I am happy to develop in Cesium for now.

0 Kudos