I have recently upgraded to ArcMap 10.4.1 and one of the keyboard shortcuts I had in my previous version does not work. It is the Clip tool - where I create a new polygon and clip it out from the larger polygon it was created in. Previously, I assigned a

Jump to solution
07-21-2016 10:33 AM
MartinRyan
New Contributor II

Keyboard shortcut that previously worked does not now work in ArcMap 10.4.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinRyan
New Contributor II

ISSUE RESOLVED:

We discovered that a setting in:

Editor toolbar > Options > Versioning  was the issue for this particular problem.

The "Automatically save changes after each edit" box was CHECKED - this is apparently by default. With this option checked, Arc10.4.1 does not respond the the "Clip..." keyboard shortcut I assigned.

When I uncheck the "Automatically save changes after each edit" box and save my .mxd, all is well - all my keyboard shortcuts work as before, even the "Clip..." command - it immediately brings up the "Clip" window as before.

Thanks, Dan for your efforts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hard to figure out the question since the title is truncated.

So I assume that arc* won't let you assign the old shortcut?  what is using it now? perhaps you could elaborate a bit more

0 Kudos
MartinRyan
New Contributor II

Dan,

Thanks for replying - ArcMap does not seem to be saving the shortcut I assign. This applies only to the "Clip" command. The others I created - "Save Edits", "Merge", etc- work fine and as they did in 10.3 - "Clip" does not. I create the polygon and when I press the shortcut key, nothing happens. However, when I click the Editor toolbar menu, I see the assigned shortcut listed, and if I select it there, it works. The "Clip" window opens with the options to preserve or discard the portion that intersects.

So, it is just the "Clip" command whose keyboard shortcut that doesn't seem to work. (I do very simple editing, and only have a few shortcuts - I'm not sure if any others are affected.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I guess you need to specify what shortcut you are using in case it isn't an obvious duplicate

0 Kudos
MartinRyan
New Contributor II

I'm using F2 as the shortcut - it worked fine in 10.3 but not now

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
MartinRyan
New Contributor II

Attached is an updated and more detailed explanation of my original question:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I found at least one other instance of F2 being mapped already

• F2 renames the selected item.
0 Kudos
MartinRyan
New Contributor II

Thanks for responding, Dan. Do you mean that F2 is assigned to another function other than clipping? I had F2 assigned to the clip function in Arc 10.3 (which worked fine) and have also tried to assign it to other keys in 10.4 - it does not work as it did before. I've reset all keyboard shortcuts and reassigned them - still no success with clipping via a keyboard shortcut

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

F2 was assigned, it was in that last link I originally sent.  Did you try to assign it to something else that is not on the assignment list?

0 Kudos