HOW TO COMBINE MULTIPLE LINE FEATURE CLASSES INTO A SINGLE FEATURE DATASET

07-19-2016 11:42 AM
kcjohnson
New Contributor

I'm attempting to combine multiple stream layers (3) into a single feature dataset. afterwhich I will create a set of topology rules. I've been told to use the 'Union' tool though this is only for polygon features where as the three stream files are polyline. I will also require to maintain all the fields intact when the merge is complete. Would the Merge tool be best to accomplish this task? I am fairly new at GIS and a tad overwhelmed, any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

Seems now the project has now been changed for me to create a single layer file from the three creek layers, I've tried to merge the three files, tried to Union the three files though in order to keep all attributes from all the three layers I'm just not sure. i'll do some research tonight and have a fresh start in the AM!

does the constant changing of plans go on and on? I suppose this is the real world and plans must change!

5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Merge (Data Management) would be the way to go.  Note when you run Merge the Field Map control, which allows you ways to affect how the fields of each feature class get mapped into the combined feature class.  Note that the Field Map control interface is not totally intuitive at first, so play around with a bit to get a handle on what it does.

Merge - ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Field Map Control - ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You seem to be mixing metaphors:  in one respect you want to create a feature dataset in which you can create some topology rules, but it also sounds like you want to combine disparate feature classes into one feature class (with a gigantic attribute table):  So which is it?

If the latter go with what Chris Donohue, GISP​ suggests, if the former, just create an empty feature dataset and copy your disparate feature classes into it.

That should just about do it....
kcjohnson
New Contributor

As I mentioned I am rather new with limited GIS knowledge, despite having recently completing a GIS Certificate Program; the difference between real world application and a class room is extremely stark! I appreciate your feedback and will commence with a 'Merge', I have made copies of my data and will continue to experiment with regards to achieving the requested resultant data. I also have been requested to include domains, something which I have not yet heard of, so this will be an adventure of sorts!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Part of what makes GIS interesting is the divergence between classroom theory and the pragmatic reality.  Welcome to the working world of GIS! 

Domains are a way to constrain your data in a field to only contain a limited set of values - your "valid inputs".  Say your organization maps water supply pipes.  Say the only material used for the pipes is either copper or PVC.  A Domain could be created for the Material field that only allows the entry of copper or PVC.  This helps maintain data integrity.

A quick tour of attribute domains - ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

kennethjohnson1
New Contributor

update on this project, I ended up creating a empty feature class and loaded each stream layer into it, running a topology each time. there are over 180 thousand streams so there were definte errors. next I created a grid using mapsheets and am meticulously going through each stream and using the "Replace Geometry Tool" to combine the streams where they are duplicate thereby retaining attributes from all input data. seems there is no method to automate the process so I will be editing for some time . .. if you have any suggestions please feel free as I am open to any possible help, thanks!

0 Kudos