AnsweredAssumed Answered

Shape Marker from File (*.emf) Not Working

Question asked by rfairhur24 on Jul 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 by CGaddam-esristaff

I am unable to get ArcGIS Pro 1.3 to use an *.emf file as a Shape Marker for a point layer.  When I press the File button under the Shape Marker symbol option It lets me navigate to a directory with *.emf files and pick one, but when the browse window closes the displayed example symbol does not change and the Apply/Cancel buttons do not activate.  All of the other options (basic shape, style and font) work.

In ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 I am able to use these *.emf files as point symbols using the Picture Marker Symbol option.  If I import an .mxd from ArcGIS Desktop that has a layer containing *.emf point marker symbols into a new ArcGIS Pro project the markers are shown correctly, but I am unable to create that layer within ArcGIS Pro itself even though the ArcGIS Pro help says that *.emf file Shape Markers are supported..

Has anyone been able to set up a layer that uses *.emf marker symbols in ArcGIS Pro?  What behavior do you get when you select an *.emf file as a Shape Marker symbol in ArcGIS Pro?

Also it appears that point symbols can only use a fixed Rotation angle for all points in the layer and cannot use a Rotation field to set the rotation of each feature uniquely.  Is that correct?  Is the only work around to create multiple layers that have a definition query for small angle ranges (say 5 degrees) that together cover a full circle and use the midpoint angle of each range as an average rotation for those layers.

Outcomes