Can the Crowdsource Storymap read geotags directly from photos?

Jump to solution
07-17-2016 12:00 PM
AlanRea
New Contributor III

I've  been experimenting with storymaps, and would like to be able to add photos, all having geotags, and have them automatically georeferenced using the geotag information. Would also like to make the storymap so that anybody could add photos and build the storymap over time. The Crowdsource template looks almost ideal. If it could simply read the geotags when uploading the photos, it would save the users the effort of finding and copying the geotag locations. If I'm not overlooking some way to do this in the current template, I'd like to suggest this as an enhancement request. A crowdsourcing app ought to be really easy, and adding this functionality would go a long way toward making this a real killer app template.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Alan,

Reading geotags from photos is absolutely on our roadmap for Story Map Crowdsource. It may not get in for the next release in Sept, but we hope to add it by the end of the year.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I didn't see anything on the developer's site https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/tagged/quick-tips

nor on the general FAQ Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps

nor in the general help... which lacks a search... Resources | Story Maps

So I will leave you with a non-answer and some perusing materials

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Alan,

Reading geotags from photos is absolutely on our roadmap for Story Map Crowdsource. It may not get in for the next release in Sept, but we hope to add it by the end of the year.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
AlanRea
New Contributor III

Owen,

Thanks, that is great news.

One other comment--I hope it also will support Google Photos directly. Going through Picasaweb is being flaky for me. Several photos that are geotagged in Google Photos show up without geotags in Picasaweb, even though others in the same album keep their geotags. So a direct load from Google Photos would be awesome.

Thanks again,

Alan

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

That is something we are interested in looking at for our crowdsource story map too. Would they go through an approval process or automatically be added to the map?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Adding geotagged photos to a crowdsource story will still follow the same contribution and approval process as before. When in the viewer opens the contribution form and chooses a photo to upload that is geotagged, one of the following will happen:

• If there is no location already filled in, the geotagged location will be reversed geocoded to find an address. If an address is found, the location field will be automatically be updated with this address. Otherwise, the location picker will be updated with the Lat/Long coordinate.
  • If the contributor has already added a location, the app will first ask if they want to use the location from the photo before updating the location.
  • In both cases the, the contributor can choose to edit that location by dragging the pin on the map or by entering a new address/coordinates.

After the point has been submitted, the author of the story can approve or reject as needed.

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

That sound great, do you have a projected date that version will be released?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Mid September

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Cool. Thanks

0 Kudos
ShawnWhite1
New Contributor

So did this ever happen? And if so, how does it work? I'm not seeing this functionality in my storymap.

0 Kudos