Is there a way to make uncluttered flow direction arrows?

Jump to solution
07-15-2016 12:43 PM
CurtPope
New Contributor III

We are trying to to make printed map books for our electric linemen. They would like to see the direction that the current flows along the line. We have generated arrows that show the direction but our line features are only as long as the span between poles. So our arrows when zoomed out very far are increadibly cluttered i attached an image off a sample page of the map book. Is there any way to reduse the amount of arrows that appear along a line to clean up the map so we can give our guys some offline maps when/if our servers are down or cell service is spotty.Layout.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Only one way to learn how to do it, and thats to do it....

Dissolving features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've had similar issues mapping streets, although not nearly to the extent you show; my solution was to generalize the data for mapping purposes, while keeping the "real" data for analysis purposes.  Can you dissolve by some attribute?

CurtPope
New Contributor III

Unfortunately i don't think i've ever had to generalize data like this so i'm unclear on how that works. And i'm just concerned about keeping the line direction correct. It would be very bad if we showed that data incorrectly.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Only one way to learn how to do it, and thats to do it....

Dissolving features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop