Publish feature service to arcgis server fails process timeout

07-12-2016 10:07 AM
CharlesBailey3
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to publish a simple feature service to server for the first time - have one registered (managed) geodatabase in sql express 2012 and several registered folders that have been validated in server manager. First issue: copies data to server every attempt even though the data is in one of the validated registered folders on the server computer. Sharing folder in analyze dialog of the service editor does not fix this. Publish copies data to the gdb but will not create service. First error messages said process timeout after an hour or so, failed to create service. Subsequent attempts failed very quickly with error 001369 which I think is because it is trying to overwrite the data it copied to the server the first time? What to do about this? The server log provides no additional information just a general failure message. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Note: the gdb was created in desktop 10.4.1 and the server version is 10.2.2 - could this cause any problems, and if so how to address that without upgrading server? Thanks, cob

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Charles,

Generally, you can publish services to a 10.1 or 10.2 version of ArcGIS Server using a 10.4.1 version of ArcGIS for Desktop, but any new functionality will not be supported. FYI, help topic:

Compatibility of ArcGIS 10.4.1 for Server with earlier versions—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

> First issue: copies data to server every attempt even though the data is in one of the validated registered folders on the server computer. Sharing folder in analyze dialog of the service editor does not fix this.

Have you been able to publish content from the data stores previously? If not, suggest you verify that you've defined the data store(s) for ArcGIS Server correctly. Help topic,

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Hope this helps,

CharlesBailey3

Thanks for your response Derek, but that's not helpful to me. I've been through the ESRI documentation a thousand times and the issue (other than it just won't publish with a generic error) is the Analyze window in service editor says the data/folder is not registered and will have to copy, but when I try to register it says it's already registered with the server. So it can't even agree with itself. I even brought the data into the map to publish directly from the sql database which is on the server machine, and it still says not registered/have to copy. But when I try to correct it, it is registered. I've tried this several times over the years and never gotten it to work, although this is the furthest I've gotten in terms of getting the database (supposedly) registered as it's validated in arcgis server manager. The same thing happens when trying to publish a geodata service from the sql sde connection. Rather than giving ESRI links can you tell me exactly what to do to properly 'define' the data stores in arc server? What can I check to verify that it is defined properly? And moreover, is this (registered/copy issue) the root cause of the publishing fail? This is very simple vector data based on a shapefile with 731 polygons in it. Thanks very much, cob

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Charles,

Can you please confirm: is this the first time you're attempting to publish content from this data store?

> the issue (other than it just won't publish with a generic error) is the Analyze window in service editor says the data/folder is not registered and will have to copy, but when I try to register it says it's already registered with the server.

Before trying to publish again, can you completely delete/remove the data store that is defined in ArcGIS Server Manager.

Then in ArcMap, after you perform the 'analyze' operation before you publish the map, go to the Prepare dialog window, right-click the warning and open the Register data source with server dialog - then redefine the data store here. Then attempt to publish the map.

> Rather than giving ESRI links can you tell me exactly what to do to properly 'define' the data stores in arc server?

I doubt that I can provide steps that are more detailed than the help documentation. But this also depends on where your source data is stored. It sounds like you have the feature layer in an enterprise geodatabase (aka. ArcSDE geodatabase) because you mention SQL Server. In which case, you would define a database data store. Specific steps are here:

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server
(under the register a database section)

In a typical workflow, you would define the database data store first, then attempt to publish the feature layer.

> What can I check to verify that it is defined properly?

After you've defined the data store, you can click the Validate button on the Data Store page in ArcGIS Server Manager. If a green checkmark appears, then you're all set. If not, then something is not right.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey3

Thanks Derek and other kind posters - using a combination of these suggestions I managed to get the feature service published to the server and hosted in AGOL. And I am now trying to publish a geoprocessing service from desktop using this data. The ultimate goal is to be able to add or update an area (acreage) field in an editable feature service after the user adds or updates the feature geometry. Can you believe something so simple requires such Herculean efforts?!?! The add geometry attributes tool in desktop keeps failing, says in_table is not a valid layer or table. Is it even possible to run this tool on the data from the server (in my sqlexpress gdb)? Or do I need to bring in a local layer and then find that, if it does happen to miraculously publish, it's pointing to a static layer that's been copied to the server, not the editable one (which has happened on previous attempts with hosted feature services). Does anyone know the best way to publish this service to work with an editable feature service on the AG server? I know hosted (AGOL) feature services are out. Thanks again for your help - cob

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Charles,

> The add geometry attributes tool in desktop keeps failing, says in_table is not a valid layer or table. Is it even possible to run this tool on the data from the server (in my sqlexpress gdb)? Or do I need to bring in a local layer ...

For geoprocessing services, you have to first successfully execute the model in Desktop - this validates and verifies to Server that the model works. Then you would publish the GP execution plan to create a geoprocessing service.

Based on your error, I suspect that something's amiss in your GP model. It seems like it's looking for a correct input to the model, perhaps an input polygon feature which you would need to overlay on a feature service (based on what you wrote above)? Or perhaps the input parameter that you want to update on the polygon? Not sure ...

You may want to post specifics about your GP model in the GP forums, Geoprocessing

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey3

Yep, trying to run the tool in desktop prior to publishing - not a model just straight from the tool dialog in the toolbox. The layer is in the map and can display. It's coming from my sql connection on the server - it is an enterprise geodatabase I created using the Create Enterprise Database tool in desktop (that in itself was an ordeal). I published it to our arcgis server (remote computer connection) as an editable feature service, and used Add Item in AGOL to get it in the cloud. Is there anything inherently wrong with this workflow? Can this type of data be used as input for the AddGeometryAttributes tool, I guess is my first question. If so then to figure out why the tool won't run, then on to the publishing process, etc. Thanks for all your time with this Derek - cob

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Charles,

> Is there anything inherently wrong with this workflow?

Based on what you wrote above, the workflow sounds fine to me.

> Can this type of data be used as input for the AddGeometryAttributes tool?

I am not an expert on the Desktop geoprocessing tools. Sorry. Please re-post your question with details on what exactly you want to do in Geoprocessing​.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
LloydBronn

Hi Derek,

I'm having a very similar problem. Trying to publish a file geodatabase from Arc Map as a geodata service on the Server. I got to the same point as Charles and followed your instructions exactly:

"Before trying to publish again, can you completely delete/remove the data store that is defined in ArcGIS Server Manager.

Then in ArcMap, after you perform the 'analyze' operation before you publish the map, go to the Prepare dialog window, right-click the warning and open the Register data source with server dialog - then redefine the data store here. Then attempt to publish the map."

I confimed that the folder containing the geodatabase is registered and verified on the Server's data store, yet every time I go to publish in Arc Map, it goes back to saying that the geodatabase is not registered with the server. 

I'm using Arc Map on a workstation which is connected to the Server on another machine over a network. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

You can also use

Create msd file from mxd document and
loging to arcgis server rest admin and try to pulbish msd file using JSON.

Its work for me.

0 Kudos