AnsweredAssumed Answered

Scale-dependent drawing, at minimum scale 2000 label draws, feature does not

Question asked by housewren on Jul 10, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 by housewren

I don't know if this a widespread bug, or just something unique to my setup up.  I have several copies of a building layer to use for scale-dependent drawing as basemap layers.  One particular layer has minimum scale (out beyond) set at <2000> and maximum set at <none>.  The next layer has maximum (in beyond) set at 2001 and minimum set at 3000.  and then I have a few other scale ranges.  My problem is with the first one (minimum at 2000).  When I zoom to 2000, the building polygons disappear but the labels are drawn, regardless of whether I am zooming in or zooming out.  Everything shows properly at 1999, and everything disappears properly at 2001.

I am using ArcMap 10.3.1.

With a little testing I learned a few things about the problem.  It ONLY OCCURS when the layer is in "Basemap layers".  It occurs with both file geodatabase feature classes and SDE feature classes (didn't test shapefiles).  It is not map dependent -- I closed and reopened ArcMap (also restarted the computer) and created a new map; the behavior was the same. If I change the minimum scale to 2001, the layer draws properly at 2000 and 2001 (so that is one work around).   EDIT: Apparently it only occurs when zooming by scrolling with the mouse.

I did find a way to get it to work right--I was originally setting the scale in the Properties dialogue box,  but if instead, I set the minimum scale by first zooming the map to 2000, right clicking on the layer and selecting "Visibile Scale Range" and then setting the scale there, the layer draws properly at 2000.

So is this a bug, or is it just my system?

Cheryl

Outcomes