Configuring an App in ArcGIS Online (Public)

Jump to solution
07-10-2016 12:50 PM
deleted-user-W17i9rKaOdiH
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I created a web app from a template that I would like to edit. However, when I go to the application details for the app and then select configure app, it takes me to the configure screen but it never opens. The blue vertical dashes just keep flashing over and over again like the screen shot shows below and all options are greyed out.

Am I not able to edit an app that I created with the public account? If this is not the problem, any ideas what else is going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Carlynne "Lyndy" Worsham

Ok this is the same issue referenced in the other thread that will be fixed at the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience. Until the fix is released you can workaround this issue by using the ago assistant.  Here are the details on how to edit the data. Note that before doing this you can use ago assistant to make a copy of your app then edit the copy first to make sure the fix works before editing your app.

You can log-in to the ago-assistant app using the link below and use it to update urls, copy content, edit json associated with an item and more. But as I mentioned earlier it is possible to break your data doing this so try working off a backup first.

https://ago-assistant.esri.com/

After logging in choose 'View an item's JSON' from the I want to dropdown list. Then find the name of the app item you want to edit and click it and you'll see that the json for your app is displayed. This is displayed in two parts the item description and the data. The part you'll want to edit for the app is the 'Data' so scroll down to find that section. Here's an example of what it looks like on my end.

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 1.57.06 PM.png

Use the pencil icon to edit the data and replace the searchConfig portion of the json with the following:

1. "searchConfig": { 
  2.   "sources": [], 
  3.   "activeSourceIndex": 0
  4.   "enableSearchingAll": false 
  5.   }, 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Hi Carlynne "Lyndy" Worsham I am also having this issue on several of my Basic Viewer template apps. Someone suggested that it might be because I had used custom CSS.

Are you using the Basic Template? And if so, have you applied custom CSS?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have any custom CSS attached to the application.

I am using one of the basic applications provided by Esri.

Lyndy

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Lyndy,

Are you able to edit other applications that you have made with this account? Have you tried a different browser or tried clearing your browser history or cache?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I am able to edit other applications that I made with this account. Yes, I have tried using a different browser and clearing the cache.

The only way I can edit the application is to edit the web map, but I cannot configure the application to change the underlying web map or to edit any of the contextual information, like the logo or text.

Any further ideas?

Best,

Lyndy

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

I think its related to this issue:

Information Look Up Web App config does not save

Which app template are you using? Is the app public? If so can you send me the app url. If not  can you use the https://ago-assitant.esri.com tool to copy the json data for your app and paste it here.

To copy the json sign-in to the ago assistant then select 'View an item's JSON' from the 'I want to' drop down list then navigate to the problem app, select it, and then copy json from the data section. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply and further information on this issue.

Yes, the app is public. The URL = http://www.arcgis.com/apps/StoryMapBasic/index.html?appid=be8691089d9641328e155d0068511da0

I tried to open the app in Chrome and had the same result so I am not sure it's a Firefox issue. The only other possible factor, which would be testable, is that I moved that app from one folder to another folder in My Content.

Again, thank for helping to resolve this issue. I think it's an important one to address.

Best,

lyndy

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Carlynne "Lyndy" Worsham

Ok this is the same issue referenced in the other thread that will be fixed at the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience. Until the fix is released you can workaround this issue by using the ago assistant.  Here are the details on how to edit the data. Note that before doing this you can use ago assistant to make a copy of your app then edit the copy first to make sure the fix works before editing your app.

You can log-in to the ago-assistant app using the link below and use it to update urls, copy content, edit json associated with an item and more. But as I mentioned earlier it is possible to break your data doing this so try working off a backup first.

https://ago-assistant.esri.com/

After logging in choose 'View an item's JSON' from the I want to dropdown list. Then find the name of the app item you want to edit and click it and you'll see that the json for your app is displayed. This is displayed in two parts the item description and the data. The part you'll want to edit for the app is the 'Data' so scroll down to find that section. Here's an example of what it looks like on my end.

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 1.57.06 PM.png

Use the pencil icon to edit the data and replace the searchConfig portion of the json with the following:

1. "searchConfig": { 
  2.   "sources": [], 
  3.   "activeSourceIndex": 0
  4.   "enableSearchingAll": false 
  5.   }, 
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this, Kelly. It worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Great. Thank you.

I wasn't sure if text not showing in the legend was related to this issue.

Thanks for your detailed response.

0 Kudos