Satellite imagery bands

07-10-2016 09:08 AM
AndreiLuca
New Contributor II

Hy everybody,

I work with 7-8 bands of satellite imagery. After using the composite bands tool the output raster orders the bands in a complete random way, making it hard to understand which band is what (for ex band 5 is now band 1).

Is there any way to rename the bands in the output raster to make any sense of them?

Thank you,

Andrew.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

According to this Composite Bands—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop you would have specified the bands to assign to the R,G,B channels.  If you are using conventional satellite imagery, those bands are well known and documented.  The spectral coverage may differ from product to product, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still band 1.  When creating the composite did you use the band assignment in your image? or did it just appear that way randomly? or is that the order that they appear in the dataset? or are there bands missing.

I wouldn't worry about the order in which they appear or what appears, the only important thing is that you select which band to assign to which channel before saving out.

0 Kudos
AndreiLuca
New Contributor II

Hy Dan,

The blue band B02.tif (pic1 attached) in the input raster becomes a completely random Band_7 (pic2) after tool processing.

After a inspection you can tell exactly what the new random bands are but it is confusing woking with them without being able to rename them in a more meaningful way.

Especially when working with a lot of band algorithms and satellites.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would only be worried if it happened before processing.  But it is strange, and this even occurs after the tool is closed? and reopened?  You might be advised to report this as an issue with tech support,  You could look at the issues addressed for ArcGIS PRO. They are up to version 1.3 now so it may list anything prior to that

check here  under Release notes What's new in ArcGIS Pro 1.3—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos