AnsweredAssumed Answered

Reclassify certain parts of a raster layer for use of Cost Distance

Question asked by Carina93 on Jul 3, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 by Carina93

Hi everyone,

I hope I will be able to express comprehensively what I am trying to do. So, I have a raster that shows different areas of habitat suitability for a species - highly suitable, suitable, marginally suitable and unsuitable. I would now like to use the Cost Distance tool to analyse habitat connectivity. This tool needs a source input - this will be my highly suitable habitat - and it needs a resistance layer input. This will be a reverse of my suitability map with the highest resistance values for the unsuitable habitat and the lowest for he highly suitable habitat. So far so good.

What I would now like to do is this: I would like to reclassify the unsuitable habitat around cities and villages with a higher resistance value than all the other unsuitable habitat. But I don't know how to do this. I don't think the Reclassify tool has an option for that? I have been thinking about creating an extra polygon feature layer for these areas - but how would I be able to merge this with my raster? Or is there another, smarter way? My knowledge of ArcGIS tools is not sufficient to come up with a good idea, I am afraid ...

Thanks very much and kind regards,

Carina

Outcomes