AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I use python to convert ppt to pdf?

Question asked by huffmanp on Jun 28, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 by huffmanp

This isn't a GIS question,  but I thought maybe someone could help.  I have a couple folders of PowerPoint files that I need to convert to PDF files,  and I thought it would help me practice some python to see if I could script this task.  I found an example at http://odetocode.com/blogs/scott/archive/2013/06/26/convert-a-directory-of-powerpoint-slides-to-pdf-with-python.aspx

that I am using as a starting point.  If I can see this run once then I can extend it to loop through the whole folder and write to different output folder.

import sys
import os
import glob
import win32com.client

def convert(files, formatType = 32):
    powerpoint = win32com.client.Dispatch("Powerpoint.Application")
    powerpoint.Visible = 1
    for filename in files:
        newname = os.path.splitext(filename)[0] + ".pdf"
        deck = powerpoint.Presentations.Open(filename)        
        deck.SaveAs(newname, formatType)
        deck.Close()
    powerpoint.Quit()

files = glob.glob(os.path.join(sys.argv[1],"*.ppt?"))
convert(files)

First I tried running the script in IDLE, but first hit No module named win32.com,  then after I installed pywin extensions for python 27, 32 bit,  I got ImportError: No module named win32api.  Looking through posts at Geonet, I found that I was having this problem with win32 back in 2006,  and the easy way out is to run it in PythonWin.  I'm running ArcGIS 10.3.1 on a 64 bit Windows system,  so it looks like python 2.7.8, so I tried the install of win32 2.7 32 bit. 

Running the script in pythonwin made it easier to insert an input file name as argv[1],  and I didn't hit any of the win32 errors.  But it seemed to run to completion, giving "returned exit code 0" in the PythonWin bottom bar, but I can't find any output pdf file on my system.  What happened?

Outcomes