New install of ArcMap 10.4 won't open on machine with Parallels 11

Jump to solution
06-26-2016 02:25 PM
ThomasTaggart
New Contributor II

I had ArcMap 10.3.1 (or some 10.3 version) on my machine, and it suddenly stopped working.  It would appear to be opening up, and then it would just crash/disappear without warning.  I would see this window, and then nothing:

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.17.42 PM.png

It always got to the same "Loading documents...." Step, and then the window would go away.  Sometimes it would show up in my task bar (parallels coherence mode) but no usable windows would ever show up.

I put up with this for two weeks before I decided to uninstall all 10.3.1 programs (ArcMap, Data Interop, etc), and do a fresh install with 10.4.

I am on a one year student trial license, and here we can see everything is fine and active:

Also, the exact same problems occur whether I am in Parallels' Coherence, Full Screen or Modality modes.

Tom

Edit: I have done this:

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile

renaming the entire folders in my appdata on both my desktop and my laptop, and it doesn't help.

Thanks,

Tom

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasTaggart
New Contributor II

Solved using this fix: Problem: ArcMap crashes during Loading Document launch stage

Now I just have to pray it doesn't break anything else (any other programs).

Tom

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasTaggart
New Contributor II

Solved using this fix: Problem: ArcMap crashes during Loading Document launch stage

Now I just have to pray it doesn't break anything else (any other programs).

Tom