AGOL Max Users

Jump to solution
06-21-2016 08:32 PM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

I was just curious if anyone using AGOL has heard of a Max Load for AGOL?

wasnt sure if anyone out there had 100+ users, etc. figured i would ask here before going straight to the horses mouth.

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

There is no defined limit of named users that can be added an ArcGIS Online subscription. You can have more than 100 users in an organization. If you want o add more users, just contact your Esri rep to discuss this further.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Dave,

I feel like one time I heard 140 users was max. But, I can't find any documentation on this. When I worked for the state, they had over 120 named users for ArcGIS Online. I'm sure someone here can give a real answer.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Beyond the "you get what you pay for" and a practical limit (i.e. Administration-wise) on named users, I haven't found any documentation on a it. Derek Law​ would probably be able to give an answer, but with theUC days away, hard to say how much staff is monitoring geonet right now.

a good thread to read thru Named Users? talks about "portal" (I.e. AGOL and Portal) and several people have mentioned 100+ quantities, if only in hypothetical situations. A couple times Derek mentions needing to talk/discuss with customer service rep.

With the UC being next week, if you can't make it, still good to take time to watch the plenary online (live or once they post the recordings) since that seems to be where they announce changes to licensing, etc., if maybe only in broad terms. You never know if/how they will change things based on feedback/push-back by users.....so even if you get an answer, things might change (I have no clue or inside information, other that talk at the dev summit about dev side of things possibly changing, so...)

re: the practical side of managing named users, I would think once you get to those high numbers, managing thru leap or active directory would be the way to go. I think this is referred to as "federated".  

Btw- if you aren't talking about named users, and just asking about number of users hitting a public app...that would be a different answer most likely, so may want to clarify.

edit, another interesting thread, even if not an answer to your questions   Does a named user need to be a human being?

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

There is no defined limit of named users that can be added an ArcGIS Online subscription. You can have more than 100 users in an organization. If you want o add more users, just contact your Esri rep to discuss this further.

-Kelly

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My organization has thousands of AGOL users as well as Portal installations with many thousands of users.  When it comes to Portal, and possibly AGOL but not so much since it is "in the cloud," it isn't the number of users as much as what types of demands the users are putting on the system. 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

1000s??? Is it a nightmare to manage all of those?!?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using the standard tools, yes.  There are third-party, GUI-driven products that enhance/improve the administrator experience, but real sanity comes from identifying standard administrative workflows relevant to your organization, and then automating those workflows as much as possible.  Identifying, documenting, automating, and validating workflows takes times, but at some point ad-hoc or manual administration nickels and dimes you to death.