Story Map Crowdsource

06-16-2016 09:30 AM
deleted-user-wgzH2d-p_0_f
New Contributor III
  1. My idea is for Story Map Crowdsource
  2. What is your idea:  Have the capability to click/touch and drag the locator point to a different location on the map.
  3. If your feature was available...
    • How would you would use the feature?  I would use it to more accurately depict where the photo was taken, if there wasn't a GPS coordinate.
    • How would it help you tell better stories or create them more easily?  It would allow the user to more accurately place the location the picture was taken.
    • How would your current stories be better?  Increase accuracy.  Or, it would make it simpler rather than having to go to another map to locate the point and get coordinates.
    • How would it improve the process of creating stories?  It would make it much easier!

1. My idea is for Story Map Crowdsource?
  2. What is your idea?  When you click on the picture thumbnail on the right side, zoom the map to the location.
  3. If your feature was available...
    • How would it help you tell better stories or create them more easily?  It would allow the user to interact with the map while tying in the photo, rather than just using words to tell where the photo was taken.  Then the user can pan the map to see other photos in the area.
    • What new types of stories could you tell?  It would enhance the geographic aspect of the story.
    • What new storytelling techniques would it enable?  It would enhance and broaden the geographic aspect of the story.
    • How would your current stories be better?  It would allow the user to more easily find photo locations.

This is awesome!  Look for my photo from Yellowstone

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the great feedback, Annina!

We are planning to add more ways to let contributors pick a location in future releases, including clicking on the map to place the pin, dragging the pin on the map, and reading a geotag right from the photo (if the photo was taken with a GPS-enabled camera like an iPhone or Android phone).

We also plan to enhance the interaction between the photo panel and the map, so thanks for your idea!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
PatrickGrady1
New Contributor II

Any tips on how to add a location via lat/long? It doesn't seem to be working within the Crowdsource template...

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Patrick,

The ArcGIS geocoder reads coordinates in the order LONG then LAT.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ValerieFieldwebster
New Contributor

My Crowdsource story map will not let anyone add a photo to it.  It keeps asking the participant to choose another photo.  I have tried signing in many different ways (Facebook, Guest) to test this issue out and none of the sign in platforms allow me to add a photo.  I can add photos only while I am logged on in edit mode. http://arcg.is/2lUmhBn -Erie #crowdsource

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

I just tested your app and was able to upload two photo (near Portland, ME so you can "reject" them). One used the guest login and the other I logged in with ArcGIS. The app will automatically reject low resolution photos. Are the photos at least 700px on the smallest side?

0 Kudos