Styling of JS API Legend

12-06-2010 06:05 AM
ClintCabanero
Occasional Contributor
Hey all,

I'm working with the AGS JS API legend dijit (its awesome!).

Has anyone successfully styled this so as to change the size of the symbol swatches (e.g. squares representing polygon features), font-family, and font-size?  I'm simply trying to 'harmonize' the style of the legend dijit presentation with my site.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
There are several css classes for the legend dijit that allow you to alter the default appearance, here's an example where the font color and family are modified for the text in the legend:

.esriLegendLayerLabel{
        font-family:'Monotype Corsiva';
        color:red;
      }
      .esriLegendServiceLabel{
        font-family: 'Times New Roman';
        color:green;
      }
      .esriLegendService{
        color:orange;
        font-weight:bold;
      }

The API Reference for the JavaScript API has a listing of the CSS classes.
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
You can increase the size of the symbol swatches using something like this:

.esriLegendService img{
        width:55px;
      }
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III
Anyone know how to use this with the  Javascript AGS api? Specifically. We create a legend at startup with:

legend = new esri.dijit.Legend({map:map},"legendDiv");
        legend.startup();

and in the body of the document we have

<div id="legendDiv" dojoType="dijit.layout.ContentPane" name="my map" style="overflow:auto;width:178px;height:250px;vertical-align:top;"></div>

The discussion implies I can use CSS Styles to change the default name displayed by the dijit.Legend by modifying esriLegendServiceLabel. Where is this done and how does the digit know about it?
0 Kudos
KristerVikström
New Contributor III
Has anyone found the answer to this question?
0 Kudos
EdSaunders
Occasional Contributor
AFAIK, you can only change the style of the legend elements like service label, layer label, image size, etc as set out in the API. The "name" of the legend? I presume you mean the service label. This is determined by the name of the map service(s) in the legend dijit definition. You can set the name of the service using layerInfos.
0 Kudos
ChristopherJohnson1
Occasional Contributor II

Do you know if any of this has changed since the last post -- over 3 years ago?

Also, is the Legend title, etc, controlled by the type of renderer that is used to represent the feature layer?

For example, in this instance, a unique value renderer is used and there is no sub-header in the Legend.

However, when I use a classbreaksrenderer, the field used to calculate the breaks is shown below the Legend header (see below).

Legend.JPG

Finally, is it possible to reverse/dictate the order of the Legend items?

Thanks...Chris

0 Kudos
ChristopherJohnson1
Occasional Contributor II

FYI...I was able to hide the "Data_Value" using CSS and reverse the Legend items.

Thanks...Chris

0 Kudos