Floating Licenses managed by Active Directory?

06-15-2016 05:59 AM
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to manage all my floating licenses from my License manager using Active directory, filter who can and cannot request for a license from my License server manager in my organization?

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Diego Llamas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Diego,

I think the simplest workflow would be to restrict access to the server where the license manager resides. Perhaps this is what you are looking for:

Restrict Server Access to Members of a Group Only

0 Kudos
andrewj_ca
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Diego,

We wrote a simple .NET application that manages and creates the ARCGIS.opt which is the best method for managing who gets what license host by your license server.

Using the options file—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Andrew, is the simple .Net application available to share?  I have always found the option file is easier to handle with "EXCLUDING" instead of including.  We have about 350 users that are allowed to access the license pool (users change) and it is easier to block those that used to be allowed, and are not blocked, then to add/manage the 350 that are allowed.  Because they now have to be within the domain/network, that stops non-Department/Domain users from gaining access, but I too would like to find an easier why to do it thru AD, beyond trying Christian's suggestion of blocking server access.  If the options file would understand AD groups, that may work, but I think it still wants login names (correct me if I am wrong).

0 Kudos
andrewj_ca
Occasional Contributor II

I'm sure it would be no problem to share.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Andrew McNaughton   I forgot about this thread until another post brought me back.  Did you ever post your .net application anywhere?  If so, can you supply the link? Maybe ArcGIS Code Sharing  or on a github site?

0 Kudos