Disconnected Editing in Pro?

Jump to solution
06-15-2016 06:37 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Am I missing something? What happened to the "Create Local Copy for Editing"? We're heavily dependent in Arc Map on the ability to Create a Local Copy for Editing of a Feature Service due to a poor network connection to our remote server farm. I see direct editing on a feature service is available, and working, but is mind-numbingly slow (10 minutes to post a single edit) in our network environment. Surely the "Create Local Copy for Editing" tool is just well hidden in Pro (as is its documentation), I can't possibly fathom how the Pro developers thought that Pro users would not need disconnected editing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan and Thomas Colson‌. I think that 

• Offline Web Maps and Layers - View web maps and edit feature layers when disconnected (Near Term)

is the answer in Pro for having the functionality for disconnected editing of services.  This workflow will actually allow for multiple syncs rather than the one-time sync with the ArcMap workflow.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so this isn't the same thing as being given permissions to use arcgis pro offline is it?  I do all my work without having to be connected to anything,

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

No. Before you "go offline", one needs to take the data with you. Not seeing any way to create a disconnected copy of a feature service in pro, so can work with it offline.

AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III

You are talking about a replica correct?  There are various types of replicas but essentially it allows a mechanism to move the data to a local database for editing and then post it back to the database.  Replicas are not available in ArcGIS pro 1.2.  Cross your fingers for pro 1.3...

Tools that are not available in ArcGIS Pro—Appendices | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing I've heard is that geodatabase replication will not be supported in ArcGIS Pro.  But they are looking to add support for Feature Service Sync capabilities at 1.4.  So a user could create a local copy of the data and then sync via the feature service.  It's coming...

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Robert do you know if this will be available at the basic license level in 1.4?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Michael - based upon some prelim research, one can share as a feature service with a Basic License but in order to use the Feature Sync capabilities, I think it requires a Standard or Advanced license to do so.  This is similar to ArcMap's "download a local copy to edit" and sync.  I could be wrong as I don't dive too deep into licensing.  Any Esri staff care to add? 

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

I know Pro at the basic license level currently offers some standard license functionality that of course ArcMap wouldn't have. Just curious (and hoping) that this functionality makes it into the Basic version of Pro.  Thanks Robert.

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

A little ahead of Pro 1.4, at Pro 1.3 the Data Interoperability extension can 'synchronize' a feature service layer and a geodatabase feature class, but attachments are not handled.  The workflow is to detect the delta changeset and write insert/update/delete features.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Still not working at 1.3.0. Frustrating. 

0 Kudos