Can I insert a video clip into a pop-up?

06-14-2016 08:22 AM
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I would like to insert video instead of an image into a popup.  Will it work by simply putting in the URL of the video clip?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Yavapai,

Wouldn't the video be extremely small if it were in a popup? Also, I have not heard of this happening before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you put the URL of the video into the popup, it will not automatically display a video.

What Story Map are you using?

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I’m using a Series map. Also the video is only a still picture with audio included. The audio is the important part. So I don’t think the small size will mater.

Judie Piner

Preservation & Technology

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie,

As opposed to having the video in a popup, could you just load the video as one of the tabs?

Or you can also embed the video within the text as well.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie,

On further thought, there are a few examples out there in which people have done this. Take a look at this thread:

Embedding Audio & Video Content - Instructions & Examples

And at this thread:

HTML pop-up define AGOL with Video 

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I am going through all the links. Some of the thing I found relate to Gis online, and others to editing the code in GitHub (I think).

But thought I would describe my purpose. I have many audio and video clips that describe gathering certain traditional foods, with elders speaking of them. Since audio doesn’t embed, I wanted to create small videos with a still image and sound. I will have a number of them, so thought a popup would work best.

My series map does have tabs, but each tab describes a different aspect of traditional life. The pop-up indicate a traditional food (or other tab topic).

Does this make sense? If not, here is a link. http://arcg.is/1pzILWK

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

Did some experiments. I made an MP4 with a still image and about 2 minutes of audio. Tried putting the URL where the picture URL goes, but it doesn’t work. I put a link in and it opens in a player window. That’s better than nothing, but it would be great if it just showed in the popup.

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie,

You have a very nice map. I really like all of the tabs and how diverse the content is. I can tell that a lot of time was spent on this map.

First question, is your map series map an out-of-the-box template or is it one you got from GitHub and then customized?

Second question, which tab on your map series are you wanting the video popups?

In any case, here is what I suggest. In the web map that you want to have custom popups, go into your configure popup page and look at the custom attribute display (some step-by-step instructions here: Crafting custom attribute displays in pop-ups | ArcGIS Blog )

In the html coding section of it, try typing in this code:

EDIT: I can't make the syntax work right.....

Of course, change the video link to your own video (might need to change video type to webm/ogg/mp4 or whatever too).

Try this:

<video controls="true" preload="auto" width="200">

<source src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ" type="video/mp4">

</source>

</video>

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

Thanks for your good comments. Yes, my map is out-of-the-box series map. I’m not ready for Git Hub yet. One of these days.

Right now the video I want is on the Traditional Foods tab. It is the blue-green stick pin. The link to the video is http://www.yan-culture.org/Images/Map/Community/<http://www.yan-culture.org/Images/Map/Community/Max.jpeg>ER-Cherry.mpg

I saw that blog, but when I looked at my web map I did’t see the “configure Popup page.” I will look again.

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie, those links do not work for me

0 Kudos