When to use Analyze (Data Management) and when to use Analyze Datasets tool?

Jump to solution
06-10-2016 11:41 AM
JesseHopkins
New Contributor III

Hi,

When would it be proper to use the Analyze (Data Management) tool over the Analyze Datasets (Data Management) tool and vice versa?  It appears to me that they both update statistics on datasets in an Enterprise Geodatabase.

Thanks!

Jesse

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jesse,

I would say that there is not much different on the outside. They both only work on Enterprise Geodatabases. However, the options on the AnalyzeDatasets is much more robust than the analyze, see below:

Analyze Datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

AnalyzeDatasets_management (input_database, include_system, {in_datasets}, {analyze_base}, {analyze_delta}, {analyze_archive})

Analyze—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Analyze_management (in_dataset, components)

I would use the Analyze Datasets on any data in the Enterprise Geodatabase for more control of what you are doing and more options.

Enterprise GIS

--- George T.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jesse,

I would say that there is not much different on the outside. They both only work on Enterprise Geodatabases. However, the options on the AnalyzeDatasets is much more robust than the analyze, see below:

Analyze Datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

AnalyzeDatasets_management (input_database, include_system, {in_datasets}, {analyze_base}, {analyze_delta}, {analyze_archive})

Analyze—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Analyze_management (in_dataset, components)

I would use the Analyze Datasets on any data in the Enterprise Geodatabase for more control of what you are doing and more options.

Enterprise GIS

--- George T.
JesseHopkins
New Contributor III

Thanks George, that makes a lot of sense.  I have a few scripts that are using just the "Analyze" tool but I will be switching them over to "AnalyzeDatasets"

Kind regards,

Jesse

0 Kudos