LGIM SiteAddressPoint attribute question

06-09-2016 01:14 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to load our existing point address FC into the LGIM SiteAddressPoint FC. I've noticed that there is no accommodation for loading existing address point data with parsed road names (e.g. "StreetPrefixDir", "StreetName", "StreetSuffixDir", etc.). Has anyone else ran into this and, if so, how were you able to load data with street names parsed into the LGIM?

Thanks in advance,

RGibson

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I too am trying to figure out addressing within the LGIM, and like you have address points that are parsed out.  Seems like the model would accommodate this as it's the preferred method for geocoding.

I'll shout out to Jeff Ward​ ; He's used it with success and even documents it here-  Summit County GIS: My Journey to Success With the Attribute Assistant in ArcGIS

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I believe they changed the information model a couple of years ago to accommodate the Address Data Management map template.  With that template the workflow for adding new addresses is you click once on the access point on the centerline then click on the center of the parcel or on top of the building.  The Attribute Assistant then fills in all of the fields for you. It does this by getting the house number by calculating where the first point you clicked is on the centerline using the range for that segment and side of the centerline.  It fills in the full road name using a master street name table.  It then concatenates the house number with the full street name to get the full address.

I think that they no longer parse out the street name because that is done in the master street name table and any locators you would use with these points would only index the full address.  Why build indexes for multiple fields when you have everything in one field?

Using the master street name table reduces errors when you create address points.  The above workflow works for new addresses but if you are creating points for existing addresses that method doesn't work because the house number the workflow comes up with may be different than the house number that already exists.  I set up the Attribute Assistant to get the house number from my parcel layer that had the house number in a field.  I then used a nearest feature method in the Attribute Assistant to get the street name.  Sometimes this would get the wrong street if the address point is for a corner lot - and I think that is why they set up the workflow the way they did to eliminate that error.

Scott Oppmann​ can probably explain this better than I.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Joe and Jeff.

Jeff, after posting the thread I did some digging and found exactly what you describe. It pretty much comes down to the workflow described whereby all the pieces of the full address are concatenated via the MSNT and "calculated" house number from the street/road centerline. Although different from what I would imagine most folks are used to, it really is a smart and productive workflow. It would seem that the best solution for those with existing point address data with parsed addresses is to migrate the existing parsed FC into the LGIM and then going forward employ the ADM workflows.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Russell

0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

Russell -

We simplify the data structure on the road centerline and site address layers by storing all the road name elements in the master street name table.  This helps us optimize the editing workflows and really simplified the configuration of the locators you'll use in the rest of your ArcGIS maps and apps.

I do encourage users to load their existing data in to the road centerline and site address layers and then use the master street name table to clean up/standardize these values.  For example: if you have road centerlines that were gathered for a 911 project and they have their unique list of road names - load those in to the road centerline layer and push the road names in to the master street name table.  If you have site addresses that were derived from parcel centroids, load them in to the site address layer and push those road names in to the master street name table as well.  Then you can use the Attribute Assistant rules to push edits (to standardize names) you make to the master street name table to the site address and road centerline layers.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.  There is a video on the ArcGIS for Local Government Meetup site from a few years back that provides a detailed overview of the Addressing solutions.  A bit dated now, but the fundamentals of the address data management solution are still valid.   We will probably have another meetup this fall to review the addressing solutions again and talk about the enhancements we provided in the June 2016 release.

Finally - if you are going to the UC this year, we have a TW that will dive deeply in to our Addressing Solutions.