How to change projection in the Local Government Model?

06-09-2016 02:03 PM
Labels (1)
HamishHenderson1
New Contributor

Trying to change the Illinois state plane projection in the local government model to represent the correct projection for   our city. Seem like it should be rather straight forward but having a surprising amount of difficulty, thanks. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

why don't you set the coordinate system of the data frame to match it? or do you have a mismash of data in different coordinate system?  Normally the first file that you add to a dataframe, sets the coordinate system you want, then you can add other data.  Alternately, rightclick on the data frame, select properties, then define it

0 Kudos
JeffreyWarren
New Contributor III

These are the steps that I took when I converted my data to the LGIM:

All of this is done in ArcCatalog

1. Create a new file gdb
  2. In the Xray add-in, select the local government gdb w/the schema you want.  It should populate the Geodatabase filepath
  3. Create an XML from this gdb  
  4. Select an existing feature class that is the correct coord. System.  Note that the file path under Geodatabase changes.
  5. Verify the XML you created in step 3 is still populated in XRAY
  6. Select Options > Use Spatial Reference
  7. Select Save, to save the XML with the newly defined coord. system
  8. Select the gdb you created in step 1
  9. Select export XML to gdb 

Once you have this, you have a blank local government schema gdb and you can import your data in to it. If you need help with this, go here.

Good luck

HamishHenderson1
New Contributor

Perfect, thanks for the help

0 Kudos
ChristopherOneal
New Contributor II

I am running ArcGIS 10.5.1 I have tried this workflow at least 7 times and it is not working for me. try1 is an empty gdb. Importing the xml to gdb works if you do not change the spatial reference. Changing the spatial reference as instructed consistently causes issues for me. Any thoughts? 

xray error 1

0 Kudos