AGOL symbology draw order for overlapping polygons

06-08-2016 08:40 AM
RobertMueller_Jr1
New Contributor III

So apparently AGOL does not honor drawing order for unique symbology for overlapping polygons but draws solely on OID? I've attached an example where I have a hosted feature layer within a webmap and I am labeling unique symbols on an attribute. I've use the AGOl edit tool to add features to the map, adding type "A" first and then type "B", while also doing the reverse with the next set of polygons. The features appear to be drawn in order by OID and not symbology.

Can anyone tell me how to deal with the order of overlapping polygons. Unfortunately I can not tell the user that one or the other always has to be drawn first, with out complicating things.

Note: ArcMap exhibits the same behavior unless I used advanced symbology.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert,

I wonder if the drawing order of polygons is similar to how AGOL handles popup messages ordering. In this thread, it is stated that

there is no way to control popup ordering. The order comes from how fast layers can return their popup information. The fastest wins

Could it be similar to the "fastest" polygon wins too?

Since this is a feature service, is it possible for you to publish this as a map service to see if the same behavior happens?

0 Kudos
RobertMueller_Jr1
New Contributor III

Adrian-

Thanks for responding. I believe you could be right with the fastest wins or something very similar drawing is based on OID ordering. I say this as there have been several occurrences where the drawing order is "correct" at a given scale and then 1 LOD up or down and the drawing order is wrong. Very frustrating. I don't see any way around this other than to more or less have the user "hack" the feature by always adding the larger feature first and then the interior overlapping second, and hoping the OID order takes precedence over the "fastest wins", which is as far as you can get from a "best practice".

Thanks

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Could you try messing with transparencies to hopefully avoid any visual data loss (and avoid confusion)?

0 Kudos