Incomplete list of classes in legend

06-06-2016 07:45 AM
RandySwaty
New Contributor

Hello and thanks!

I am using ArcMap 10.3.1  and working with vegetation data, ESRI grid format.  Until recently I have been able to successfully use the "Only show classes that are visible in the current map extent" feature (legend properties>Items tab>Map Extent Options).  Now when I check this option, the legend list is cut off, meaning that only roughly 1/2  of the classes show in the legend.  I have attached a screen capture of a legend that does not list all of the legend items, leaving off roughly 1/2 of them.

All ideas appreciated!

RandyLegendIssue.JPG

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Randy,

Can you tell if the legend is refreshing itself? Can you force it to refresh? Also, maybe pan the map back and forth to hopefully refresh the active view.

0 Kudos
RandySwaty
New Contributor

Many thanks Adrian.  No luck.  The legend does refresh, but still only shows the first 1/2 or so of the classes.

Any other ideas?  Right now I am stuck with clipping the data which is OK but not ideal

Randy

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The data set seems to be very complex. Is it running into a timeout problem in trying to calculate all the unique classes in your extent? What happens when you zoom into a very localized extent?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Go to your argis folder ie ...  C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.4\Utilities  it will depend on version number, and run the AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe  You may have exceeded the 25 limit on the number of unique classes a raster can display ... change it to a higher number

RandySwaty
New Contributor

Many thanks Dan and Adrian.  I really liked your idea Dan and tried it to no avail.  Trying it did force me to pay more attention and while I don't have the pattern totally figured out I did learn that the option does not work period.  It seems to pick legend items at random (e.g., there will be items in the legend that are not in the extent).  At this point I suspected the dataset, but found it happens with several rasters I tried.  Something really weird is happening here! 

I have tried several datasets, using different value fields to draw the legend and all sorts of panning and zooming.  It's as if the tool will only look at the top half of the attribute table (e.g., it will not move past classes that start with "N", or their associated values).  If I zoom out it will keep adding classes to the legend as long as they are not past a certain point in the attribute table.

All help appreciated!

Randy

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

how many records in your table?

have you selected the latter half of the table? (either via query or manually)

is there not a simplified classification scheme you can try?

I have a vague recollection about unique classes being limited in number both in raster and vector, I will look more

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Randy,

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro? I know this may not be the best answer to the issue you're seeing but I have found that layout-view-type issues are vastly improved in Pro. It might be worth looking into.

0 Kudos
RandySwaty
New Contributor

Thanks again.  Soon I'll be digging back into this but will have to clip the data for now.  I hope I can return the favor two you both someday!

Randy

0 Kudos