Extract attributes from related features

06-03-2016 03:24 PM
TimMarquardt1
New Contributor III

Geo-Friends:

Is there a way to extract attributes from features that are related to other features?

My Example:  I want to select a set of utility poles and a few attributes from a related streetlight feature class.  The streetlights are related via a 1:M relationship class.  I would like to append the selected poles to another feature class and also a few attributes from the related streetlight features (Light_type, Wattage, etc).

Can this be done?  I thought of a join, but when I try this, the defined relationship class for Pole_Streetlight is not in the dropdown for "Join data based on a pre-defined relationship class"  why is this?? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tim, have you gone through the help file topics? Accessing related records—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Add Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop or looked at relationship classes instead

WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Is the data stored in an enterprise geodatabase? Make Query Layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
TimMarquardt1
New Contributor III

I don't understand why you can't join to another feature class that is related via a relationship class?  The relationship class is there.  I can select a feature and use the Related Tables button from the attribute table and it selects the related feature.  So why is the related feature class not presented as a choice when you use the Join command and pick "Join data based on a pre-defined relationship class"?   what am I missing?

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

You would not be able to do a straight join because you have a 1-M relationship it would only get a single record. If you are in an enterprise geodatabase you could use the tool i mentioned earlier.

0 Kudos
TimMarquardt1
New Contributor III

Hi Wes.  Thank you for the reply.

I looked at the tool help for make query layer.  I don't see how the use of the tool accomplishes a join of 2 feature classes via a relationship class.

0 Kudos
TimMarquardt1
New Contributor III

I found the problem.  I am dealing with attributed relationship classes (not standard 1:M) which creates the RID field and relationship class table.  Thanks for the help

0 Kudos