Implement full LGIM or only portions needed?

06-02-2016 09:01 PM
HARTerra
New Contributor II

When implementing the local government information model, are you implementing the entire data model or only the portions that you require and have data for?  Are you leaving empty feature and object classes or are removing them to reduce the complexity of the data in your geodatabase and only implementing data model components as you need them?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KathleenWallis
Occasional Contributor II

We implemented LGIM about 2 years ago. I downloaded the entire schema into SDE at the beginning.
That way all the domains came over. as well as the ATTACH tables and the relationship classes. We had so much data in different formats - CAD, excel, GPS points, that it tool months to figure out where it fit into the LGIM and if we should keep
some of the data in tables and use relationship classes...etc. Almost every month I have another department that says they want to keep track of data they never had before. In almost every case there is a place for it in the LGIM. To keep things simpler for the users, I to not give access, not even view privileges, to feature datasets or tables or RLC until that feature is populated with data. That is the nice thing about the data grouped in feature datasets, you can grant access (view or edit) only to the departments that need access to that data. Case in point - only the GIS department can see the CitizenService or the LawEnforcementOpperations feature dataset. Hope this helps
Katy

0 Kudos
HARTerra
New Contributor II

Thanks for the insights and ideas… It all helps!

0 Kudos