ArcGIS Pro does not render large point featureclass

06-02-2016 12:43 AM
erichfisher
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

I am exploring ArcGIS Pro by migrating many of my projects from ArcScene into ArcGIS.  The data are all stored in File Geodatabases.  I'm having the most issues displaying and manipulating our largest point file, which has ~300,000 points within a fairly narrow 3D space (vertically and laterally).

I've created a test ArcGIS Pro local scene using the South Africa National Grid Coordinate System, which accords with our data.  Usually only a fragment of the data render when I addthe point file and the "Drawing" icon spins continuously.  I've reset the cache and the file still fails to render fully.  I have noticed on a few occasions that if I close the project and reopen it then the point file will render fully upon restarting the program.  However, if the entire point file shows then I am almost unable to rotate the scene, which becomes very slow and buggy.

I can render and manipulate the same point file in ArcScene and ArcMap without issue, but I would really like to begin using ArcGIS Pro because of the advanced 3D capabilities.  Is there some way I can improve the rendering of ArcGIS Pro vector point features?  I have turned the display quality settings to their lowest values, updated my display drivers, reset the layer caches etc.  I'm now at a loss about what else to do?  Can I import a feature class into an LAS dataset perhaps?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are my system settings:

Dell Precision 5510

Xeon 1505 Processor

16 GB memory

Nvidia Quadro M1000M

ArcGIS 10.4 with ArcGIS Pro 1.2

Cheers,

Erich

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You compared your configuration to the recommended ArcGIS Pro 1.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop  just to save time.  Note recommended would be for the average user with average requirements and video apparently, is a sensitve issue

0 Kudos
erichfisher
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Yes, the M1000M certainly meets the minimum requirements.  I wonder if tweaking the Nvidia advanced settings would improve ArcGIS Pro performance?  Interestingly, I can easily render and manipulate our huge multipatch datasets without a hiccup.   It's just the points that cause a problem.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Erich,

For that volume/density of data, you'd be better off converting point FC into a LAS dataset, and visualizing it thusly.  The reason is that the rendering pipeline for LASD in ArcGIS Pro is much better suited to this type of data. 

Unfortunately this conversion is not a one step process.  Essentially you need to convert it to XYZ points (plus attributes) in a CSV, then use ASCII Text to LAS from the 3d tools (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fe221371b77940749ff96e90f2de3d10 ) to create a LAS file.  Then Create LAS Dataset to create the LASD from which you'd render.  We actually did this recently for another colleague with a similar issue.  I'll see if that colleague can join the thread here and fact-check my summary above.

0 Kudos
erichfisher
New Contributor II

Jeremy,

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll give the conversion to LAS a try.  I was looking into it earlier today and thought that it may be an option, but since I don't work with LASD then I wasn't too familiar with the toolset. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If Esri doesn't plan on supporting this type of use case, i.e., super-dense point rendering, maybe it is time to create a more streamlined way of converting points to LAS.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well the stuff is out there... and been around for a while, just not fully implemented or adopted yet

Check github for some examples

GitHub - LAStools/LAStools: efficient tools for LiDAR processing

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Data Interoperability extension can convert File GDB point features to point cloud (LAS,LAZ,LASD,zLAS) directly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes... but I kindof have issues with all kinds of provisions for free WAB tools and SDKs and the like and yet something that actually enables you to process data isn't free ArcGIS Data Interoperability | Overview .  I know, the market may be limited, I could do a whole Story Map on it

Thanks though, I will provide the link for those that may have a budget

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Story map, too funny.  I needed a good laugh to start my day, thanks.

0 Kudos