Repairing ArcGIS installation - missing valid setup.msi

06-01-2016 02:03 AM
MartinKoudelka
New Contributor

Does anyone know how to repair ArcGIS 10.3.1 installation without the original install package (or how to get it)?

I am encountering the "invalid pointer" script issue when using Geoprocessing tools (error described here: Fixing Script Error Invalid Pointer from ArcGIS Geoprocessing Tools? - Geographic Information System...​ or here: arcgis desktop - Script Error 'Invalid Pointer' in Spatial Analyst Tool - Geographic Information Sys...) and using Repair installation tool from the Windows programs menu seems to be the only solution, according to the forums.

The problem is, I need a valid setup.msi file in order to finish the repair process. I no longer have the installation package on my computer and I can't find it available for downloading. Is there any way to obtain it, or any other solution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Martin,

If you (or your sponsoring organization) are current with your Esri licensing you should have access to the my.esri.com portal.

There in the My Organization -> Downloads tab you will find the ArcGIS for Desktop installers for 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4 and 10.4.1

Grab the full ISO, or the self-extracting ArcMap .exe for the 10.3.1 build.

If you personally do not have access to the portal, contact an Esri customer service rep and they should be able to assist you further.

Stuart

MartinKoudelka
New Contributor

Thanks, Stuart, for your reply.

I actually do not have access to the Downloads section on My Esri. Custumer service wasn't very helpful in this case, as they recommended getting a new authorization number.

Anyway, after a couple of hours and many attemts it turned out I can somehow access and download the installer with my current authorization number. That means for me the problem is solved (even though, I still don't get why the script error issue is not fixed in new ArcGIS versions)

0 Kudos
BrittKlaassen
New Contributor

I am running into the same problem. May I ask how you were able to download it using your current authorization number?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
AmyGwin2
New Contributor III

I am also experiencing troubles with Arcmap and Pro. Anything that requires the connection to Portal/ArcGIS online. My programs crash every time I try to use those resources. I can login, but that is it. Everything is fine on the browser side when connecto to portal/arcgisonline. I tried to run a repair install on ArcMap - with no change.I tried to run a repair install on Pro - and ran into the same issue as you.missing ArcGISPro.msi

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

To repair a setup, you need access to the original MSI. If you've upgraded Pro through the application, the setup files are deleted once installed.  You can download the setup files from (http://links.esri.com/pro/download/current) and browse to this MSI when prompted during Repair. .

0 Kudos
AmyGwin2
New Contributor III

I wanted to share the resolution on this issue for me. I was experiencing more and more problematic behavior until finally ArcMap stopped opening and crashed each instance. 

After reinstalling all ESRI software and local data with no change, I asked my IT admin to wipe my windows user account on my primary machine. He did so, and recreated it with the same name, and Bam! Back in business. Really strange issue. 

0 Kudos