How to create a customized default story map.

05-29-2016 03:34 PM
KathrynWilson
New Contributor II

Is there a way to create a customized default story map with our brand colours and logo so that this doesn't have to be set each time a new story map is created?

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Main help ... Support | Story Maps

leads to here Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps

Can I duplicate my story map?

Duplicating your story map can be useful for a variety of reasons, such as making a backup copy or reusing the same look and feel for another story. This is not currently supported directly in the Story Map app builders. You can use the community-supported ArcGIS Online Assistant tool to help duplicate your application.

you go to  here ArcGIS Online Assistant

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kathryn,

Yup, it sure is! We've got two posts about this on our Developers' Corner blog:

Getting the most out of your customized storytelling app — part 1

Getting the most out of your customized storytelling app — part 2

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
KathrynWilson
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

I'm still quite new to my current role and understanding how everything works.

Our Comms team is trying to use the Storymap App, which looks quite different to the Web AppBuilder and arcgis online format that I am familiar with.

Because I do not understand the link between the Storymap App and the arcgis online group content I am struggling to understand the blog posts you attached.

I have just created a default storymap with our branding within the Storymap App web page.  I then tried to add that into the 'my content' within the arcgis online page.

The first problem I see is that currently within the Storymap App there is no space to choose a  template or anything that is connected with arcgis online.

Permissions should not be an issue as both the story map creator and myself use the same publisher login.

Do you have anything to help me understand this better?

Thanks,

Naomi

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Naomi,

The relationship between your story map app and ArcGIS Online web maps is the same as it is with Web AppBuilder or other ArcGIS configurable apps. When you create a specific story map from one of the app templates your story map is stored in My Content as a Web Mapping Application item just like those other apps.

If you want to have a "default version" of your story map that starts with your logo, links, and other branding you need to download the source code of the app or apps you want to make a template for from GitHub, make the customizations you want (you'll need to understand HTML and CSS to do this), and then host it yourself on your own web server. After doing that you can follow the steps in the "part 2" blog post I shared above to add your customized story map template as an item that anyone in your organization can select when they create a web app from the web app template gallery.

Esri is planning to add more features to ArcGIS Online and configurable apps to make it easier to brand your apps in the future, but we don't have any specifics or timeline for these features at this time.

Owen

Owen Evans
KathrynWilson
New Contributor II

Ahh yes I have now found where the created story maps have been hidden within the My Content.

Is there some way to specify what folder within My Content that the story maps are created into?  By default when using the story map app they go into our home folder, whereas we have a folder designated to story maps. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Whenever you create a story map from My Content or by sharing a web map and clicking Create a Web App you have the choice to create the story map in any of your folders.

2016-06-01 at 4.02.38 PM.JPG

If you create the story map from the story map website the story will go in your Home folder, but you can always move it later using the tools in My Content that let you manage your items.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos