Google Photos vs. Picasa

Jump to solution
05-25-2016 01:18 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any info on when you will support Google Photos rather than Picasa? The latter is deprecated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jess,

I've been meaning to get a blog out about this, so thanks for the opportunity. I just published this:

What story map authors need to know about the transition from Picasa to Google Photos | ArcGIS Blog

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jess,

It might be best to utilize a service like Flickr. That is what I use for most of my story maps. I also use Google Drive and just share the photos publicly.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cool – thanks. I just figured that since Esri supports Picasa album import, will they eventually support Google Photos album import?

If you make your photos publically available on GDrive, can you import them in your Story Map? Thanks!

Jess

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jess,

I agree with you about Picasa vs Google Photos. I hope it gets implemented soon.

For images in Google Drive, it's not as straightforward to get them to show up. You have to word the url a little differently. It will be like this:

https://googledrive.com/host/<folderID>/<filename>

Where folder name will be a long unique identifier of letters and numbers and file name will be the image file name (with the extension on the end like .jpg).

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jess,

I've been meaning to get a blog out about this, so thanks for the opportunity. I just published this:

What story map authors need to know about the transition from Picasa to Google Photos | ArcGIS Blog

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps