Is there a way to copy a Enterprise Geodatabase (SDE) to another remote location with out shutting down the database.

05-25-2016 11:48 AM
DanielWilson
New Contributor III

We want to copy an enterprise geodatabase (SDE) from one location to another without shutting down the source database.  We can use either SQL Server or Oracle.  The dba's tell us they need to shutdown the database, which is an issue because users could have geoprocessing scripts running.  ESRI replication is not an option because we have ETL's that delete and recreate feature classes.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Can you run a complete back up to a file and then transfer the back up file to the remote location and import/extract there?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

With Oracle, you can try using exp or expdb for a full export to a dmp file that you can import in an different Oracle instance.

Regards

Jesús de Diego

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you have Oracle RMAN, I believe that it can take a hot backup of the database and then that could be restored to a new instance of Oracle.

Oracle information:

Hot and Cold Backups - Overview - Oracle - Oracle - Toad World

Backing Up the Database

SQL Server information:

Backup Overview (SQL Server)

These might be some good spots to start.........

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DanielWilson
New Contributor III

The feedback I'm getting from the DBA's is that RMAN hot backup or exp/exdb can't be automated.   We need to be able to automate the process.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am not sure of another way to do this unless they set up the RDBMS replication process which could cause issues with the Geodatabase functions that are built in and not supported, as far as I know.

How often do they want to make a copy?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For sure exp/imp process can be automated....

Jesús de Diego

0 Kudos
DanielWilson
New Contributor III

Ideally nightly,  but every other night would also work.   We went down the RDBMS replication path but it did not work because the destination needed to be read only and the SDE schema needs write access.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Think that I am out of ideas. I do find it difficult that you could not script or schedule RMAN to do something like that.......

--- George T.
0 Kudos
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

This is not an ideal way but you could create a python script that makes a FGDB each night and copies all feature class, datasets, and tables to it.  Once they are in the FGDB you can copy them into other database.  You could always go directly from the SDE and to SDE via the script and skip the FGDB if your system permits that.  Then use windows task scheduler to automatically run the script at a certain time (ex: 2 am). 

Problem with this method is that you are making a copy so you have to transfer everything not just the stuff that changed.  In addition, you will need to delete the stuff at the destination before copying to prevent errors and duplication.  In addition, you will have to copy every version you have if you are using versioning and they won't be linked properly in the destination.

0 Kudos