How do I create a 3D dataset?

05-24-2016 10:58 AM
AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I've been following the quick start guides and using the 3D datasets found here. However, after Drone2Map finishes processing I'm left with only a 2D mosaic image and some Hillshading. The  quick start guides seem to indicate it'll make me LAS data. Where is that? Also how do i then use that - In ArcGIS Pro? Is there a streamlined workflow for that?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you select the Rapid project template you will only generate the Orthomosaic and the Digital Surface Model. By choosing the Mapping project template:

...  you will be able to generate more products and products with a higher precision (including 3D Point Clouds and a 3D Textured Mesh).

Inside your project folder you will find a products folder and inside that folder there will be a folder called "3D" with the 3D products.

AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Xander Bakker​,

thanks for pointing me to that file location. However, can I not display the 3D content inside Drone2Map? Do i need to bring it into ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew Hargreaves ,

As far as I understand, the 3D products are not visualized in Drone2Map. You can use ArcGIS Pro, ArcScene, ArcGlobe or CityEngine (?) for this purpose. I believe that the 3D Mesh can be visualized in ArcGIS Pro (starting at version 1.3) and will be able to be published to ArcGIS Online.

GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Hi all,
Drone2Map v2 is based on the ArcGIS Pro core and can open Scenes and visualize 3D data in Scenes ... see here:

So check out the version

Regards
Guenter

0 Kudos