Can ArcGIS Pro import coverages (.adf files)?

05-20-2016 01:57 PM
JoshuaFlickinger1
New Contributor

I haven't been able to find any information related to how coverage files are treated in ArcGIS Pro - other than they don't seem to show up properly in the Project pane when I connect to my data directory.   Is there an import tool I've overlooked or should I take this to mean coverages aren't supported in Pro?  If they are not, is there a plan to support coverages in the future?

15 Replies
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

My end users don't have ArcMap - they only have Pro... what should I do?

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

and if you have access to Desktop, besides arcpy, you can also just use the toolbox to convert it into a geodatabase featureclass.  If you use multiple featuretype within the coverage, e.g. the arcs, points, polygons and regions (which was common back in the workstation days), you may need to covert more than one type.  Just an fyi

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They were pretty clear at the ArcGIS Pro holistic testing two years ago November that there are no plans to support coverages in Pro. However my Python function that runs Workstation still works from Python 3.4 arcpy so all is not lost.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Curtis - my students have Pro, not ArcMap.  What should they do?

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Can I run your script in Pro?  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

give it a try... Pro imports toolboxes, scripts will run if they are python 3.x compliant and even if they aren't you can run py2to3 on them.

The big change for most users is print is now a function ie  

print("this") instead of ... print "this"

nothing to lose since coverages don't appear to be covered anymore

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My script requires that you have workstation installed. Probably don't want to go there. 🙂

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

True. 

But this is all very helpful indeed.

I talked with Steve L above and it truly does work!  The only semi-funky thing is that you have to go to Windows explorer, copy the whole desired path to TEXT, then in ArcGIS Pro, paste that whole string in to the copy features box before selecting the geometry type.  But that's a minor thing - I'm very thankful to everyone that it works!

But yes, as Curtis says, my students/faculty/ in my workshops still encounter e00s so a Script would be FANTASTIC.  For years for example I ran Bruce Ralston's SDTS (yes, SDTS) to shapefile program but you had to run it outside of ArcGIS, and so it would be much better to have a e00 to feature class or coverage script... someday... please.  Thanks so much,

--Joseph Kerski

0 Kudos