Geometry is not M-aware issue with Polygon Neighbors

05-19-2016 08:32 AM
TatyanaDeryugina1
New Contributor II

I'm trying to calculate which CA zip codes border each other using Polygon Neighbors. I keep getting the error that the "Geometry is not M-aware". Initially, the dataset did not have M-values. I added them using "Feature Class to Shapefile" and turning on M-values in the Environment options. I also repaired the Geometry. I tried running Polygon Neighbors with disabled M-values in the Environment options. Same error every time. I don't know what else to do.

The dataset to which I added M-values is attached. FYI, I'm using ArcGIS 10.4

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the shapefile has issues, but it isn't the shapefile itself.  You need to add it to a geodatabase as suggested in this thread

Geometry is not M-aware

What is a file geodatabase?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

so you can try converting the shapefile to a filegeodatabase, making it m-aware using

Feature Class to Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

then try to see if the tool works.

According to the reference thread it solved their problem

TatyanaDeryugina1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the suggestion, Dan! Unfortunately, that did not work for me. I created a geodatabase, converted the shapefile to a geodatabase using "Feature Class to Geodatabase", then tried running the Polygon Neighbors tool on the Geodatabase file. The good news is that it didn't give me a geometry error; but it still gave an error (a pretty uninformative one, basically that it failed to execute). I also tried the "Feature Class to Feature Class" conversion after creating a Geodatabase, but that gave a geometry warning as well.

Fortunately, I found a workaround. I just converted the polygons to lines and checked the box that reports bordering FIDs, which is all I really needed.

0 Kudos