AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why would services would take 100x longer to publish in 10.4 vs 10.2

Question asked by NeoGeo on May 17, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 by dlaw-esristaff

I am in the process of migrating from ArcGIS server 10.2 to 10.4 on a strict timeline for forced server migration and I am finding that the same services when republished on 10.4 with identical hardware resources take 100 to 150 times longer to publish, like going from 5-10 seconds in ArcGIS 10.2, to 10-15 minutes to publish in 10.4.  If publishing was something that was a do once and forget about it process this would not be a problem, but with 10.4 the services actually stop responding when republishing a service and during emergencies we sometimes have to make changes and republish hundreds of times and the downtime is not acceptable.  We have some services using local paths, some using SDE, and none using UNC paths.  Publishing for all of them on 10.4 is slow, though the services using data in SDE are most affected as they were the slowest to start with, though it is too slow even for the ones that only use local data. 

Any ideas what might be causing this?

The only other thing I can think of that changed is the Server OS, which is now Server 2012 with AGS 10.4 vs Server 2008 R2 with AGS 10.2.    Some of the sde data was reloaded in a new spatial data standard and it came to my attention that all of the new datasets after reloading are of Geometry spatial data type rather than binary in SDE since ESRI made that the default data type once the database was upgraded last time.  I have seen the problems people are having with performance with the geometry spatial data type, which could be causing some of my sde slowness, but even the services not using SDE publish much slower.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Outcomes