Current Real Estate/Home Sales Information

05-15-2016 08:07 AM
HeatherFitzGerald
New Contributor

I am doing a site suitability exercise for myself, i.e. looking for a retirement home that meets specific criteria, and now I need the real estate information. I thought I saw a presentation at one of the ESRI conferences or a webinar where someone downloaded current home sales information from a site like Redfin or Zillow. I'm at the point in my analysis where I need the real estate information, I assume in Excel format, and I can't find a way to download it. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Heather,

I would suggest only starting one thread on this. You may want to delete the other thread in order to avoid confusion (you can tag multiple places using the @ sign).

For real estate data, I am guessing you went to a discussion on this:

GIS for Real Estate | Overview

On that page, there is a contact spot that may be a good place to start. I would presume that sites like Zillow might not want to give out some of their information. You would likely have to request a really specific area.

I did find this site:

Data - Zillow Research

That may be of use. Plus Zillow has a neighborhoods shapefile you can possibly use but not sure how helpful that will be:

Zillow Neighborhood Boundaries | Zillow 

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you can figure out which conference and/or tech session you may have seen the demo, there is a chance that you could find the recording at Esri Video | Videos Covering GIS Events, Products, People, & Topics​   

I did a search on arcgis.com (i.e. ArcGIS Online) and found a site on "where to move",  http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3942b8955e1b486a94ab9eb3268bb4b8  but it was having an issue loading all the layers. But you could use the layers of interest for you and build your own.   Seems most of the "where to retire" are polls.

The "Data -Zillow Research" that Adrian mentioned seems to be summary info so you can look at treads over several decades, but no real current info.  My guess is current data is somewhat proprietary since the Real Estate business is pretty competitive although seems like all the ads say they list all.  Also, some sites seem to give incorrect locations on their maps, I think in an attempt to force consumers to use a real estate agent....my opinion only.

I found this site (although not sure that it is esri related)  Home Prices and Real Estate Market Trends from Realtor.com

for what it's worth.

Rohit_Venkat_GandhiMendadhala4
New Contributor

I have the real estate data from the Zillow website. This site gives the information of the real-estate for whichever region we search for. So, once we can convert this data in Zillow to a shapefile, our analysis would be easy. The map shown in Zillow is BingMap. Can anyone please ponder on this concept how can we get the realestate data from Zillow as a shapefile.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Rohit,

How do you have the data? What format is it in? Can you share an example of how it looks or how it is presented?

0 Kudos