Building a Custom Tool

05-11-2016 01:20 PM
BrianKrebs
New Contributor

We have a customer that wants us to build them a custom tool to use in a ArcGIS implementation of a VB6 app to search and highlight items based on the "Loc_Num" field.  We have never done this before and are having a hard time figuring out how to do it.  I found the following article, but I don't know where to find the templates or if they even work in later versions of Visual Studio:  Building a map viewing application using the ArcGIS Engine controls

The functionality to add built-in or custom tools is already included in the VB6 app and I added the built-in "Find" tool which allows me to select a layer and then the "Loc_Num" field to do a search on, but our customer wants to make it easier for their users to not have to select a layer or at least limit the amount of layers they can select from(about 8 compared to the 60+ included in the mxd).  Also, when you click on a search result, it only briefly highlights the item with a green dot that is not easy to spot every time.

Since the custom tool will be used in a VB6 app, should the tool be created in VB6 or can it be created using VB or C# in Visual Studio 2010 or higher?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies