Web Adaptor and Desktop on the same machine?

04-28-2016 10:35 AM
SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

I'm implementing our ArcGIS for Server Site and have a question about whether or not is is advisable/recommended to install ArcGIS for Desktop on the same machine as the web adaptor?

Thanks!

5 Replies
ShanmugaRaja
New Contributor II

Since the Web Adaptor is independent of ArcGIS Desktop , ArcGIS Server & Portal for ArcGIS, you can deploy ArcGIS Desktop in the same machine where the WebAdaptor is installed. More about ArcGIS Webadaptor

SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. Do you think that installing desktop along with the web adaptor on the same machine is advisable or recommended? Is that a typical deployment?

0 Kudos
ShanmugaRaja
New Contributor II

Webadaptor usually deployed at the webserver level. If you are deploying webadaptor at your organization's webserver, it is recommended that you can install desktop at any of your internal systems. There would be no issues if you are deploying both at the same machine as well.

0 Kudos
SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

I heard from ESRI and it is neither required nor recommended to install Desktop on the same machine as the web adaptor.

0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III

I have added ArcGIS Desktop to our virtual machine with Server and the web adaptor.   I use it just for ArcCatalog and some models that are scheduled to run overnight.

0 Kudos