Network Analyst - Routing - Location is on a soft-restricted network element - Can't fix it.

Jump to solution
04-26-2016 11:22 AM
JúlioLuta
New Contributor III

Hi,

I've created my network database and it worked fine for all the service areas I needed to create, but when I tried to create some routes I started having some problems.

Every location I add gives me this message as soon as I solve it: "Location "Graphic Pick X" in "Stops" is on a soft-restricted network element."

I tried googling what's a soft-restricted network element but had no luck.

How can I fix this? What adicional info is required to understand my issue?

Cheers

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

A soft restriction is when travel on a street isn't completely prohibited but is "discouraged".  Actually, you can also set it up to prefer certain streets (like truck routes), and that's also considered a soft restriction.  You can read more about restrictions here: Understanding network attributes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Essentially, the warning you're seeing just indicates that the facility you created has snapped to a street that has one of these soft restrictions applied to it  The analysis should still complete successfully.  It's just warning you that some streets you might prefer to avoid have to be used because the facility is located on those street segments.  You can just ignore the warning.

But if you don't want the warning, you could get rid of it by doing one of these things:

• If you don't care about the restriction, turn it off (in your Service Area layer properties).
  • If you don't want  your facilities to locate on streets that have these restrictions, check on the "Do not locate on restricted network elements" option in the Network Locations tab of the Service Area layer properties.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

A soft restriction is when travel on a street isn't completely prohibited but is "discouraged".  Actually, you can also set it up to prefer certain streets (like truck routes), and that's also considered a soft restriction.  You can read more about restrictions here: Understanding network attributes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Essentially, the warning you're seeing just indicates that the facility you created has snapped to a street that has one of these soft restrictions applied to it  The analysis should still complete successfully.  It's just warning you that some streets you might prefer to avoid have to be used because the facility is located on those street segments.  You can just ignore the warning.

But if you don't want the warning, you could get rid of it by doing one of these things:

• If you don't care about the restriction, turn it off (in your Service Area layer properties).
  • If you don't want  your facilities to locate on streets that have these restrictions, check on the "Do not locate on restricted network elements" option in the Network Locations tab of the Service Area layer properties.
JúlioLuta
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.

I was getting the warning followed by another saying it couldn't find a route.

I thought they were connected but then I discovered that it was a restriction that had a wrong value and was prohibiting several arcs. But it was your reply that made me double check all restrictions. Thankfully everything seems to be working now... phew!

Cheers

0 Kudos