How can I combine 2 or more raster layers into one and keep attributes

04-22-2016 01:20 PM
ShannonAndreoli
New Contributor II

I have four raster layers that I downloaded from USGS for land use data. I want to combine these all into one layer and then clip to my area of interest. I was able to do this, but after I performed an Extract by Mask the attributes for the land use were no longer usable. Instead of one color assigned to each land use type, the land uses were now represented by a color ramp which doesn't make sense for the analysis that I am interested in performing. I even tried changing this in the Symbology tab for the layer but it wouldn't go back to its pre-extraction colors. Any help will be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make sure that the raster data type hasn't changed and I suspect you should mosaic them together first before starting clipping. Mosaic—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and/or Mosaic To New Raster—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   this may seem like an extra step, but you have colormaps to deal with and edge matching amongst other things. 

ShannonAndreoli
New Contributor II

Thank you, I had to take a break from working on this project but I just got back to it and using your suggestion worked! It took some manipulation of my data and after several tries I was able to combine my rasters into one. Thanks again for your help!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No problem, glad it worked

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Shannon, try the Add Colormap tool. This tool can be used to copy the colormap from one of the original rasters to your merged output raster.

Add Colormap—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

ShannonAndreoli
New Contributor II

Thank you, your suggestion really helped and everything turned out just how I wanted it. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos