How to create a 'touchable' phone number on ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
04-20-2016 07:51 AM
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

How to make the phone number 'touchable' on ArcGIS Online?  (i.e. touch a number and have it come up ready to dial from a phone)?  I've tried both having the field as text or integer format.  But none of them work.

Thank you,

Emily

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Emily, you can do this in the popup configuration by setting your phone field to be a hyperlink with the protocol tel: to look like this: tel:{Phone Number Field Name}.

To do this, go to Configure Pop-up -> Set the Display to 'A custom attribute display' -> Configure. In the Custom Attribute Display dialog, highlight the text (or field name) you want and select the hyperlink option. Below is a screenshot of an example configuration. Note - you'll need to build the rest of the popup for any other attributes you want to show (as I did with city, state, for example).

telconfig1.jpg

Finished popup looks like this. Clicking on the phone number hyperlink will initiate a call (the actual behavior may be subject to the specific browser, enterprise / browser security settings, device, etc. But the tel: protocol is standard so should work in most cases).

telconfig2.jpg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Emily, you can do this in the popup configuration by setting your phone field to be a hyperlink with the protocol tel: to look like this: tel:{Phone Number Field Name}.

To do this, go to Configure Pop-up -> Set the Display to 'A custom attribute display' -> Configure. In the Custom Attribute Display dialog, highlight the text (or field name) you want and select the hyperlink option. Below is a screenshot of an example configuration. Note - you'll need to build the rest of the popup for any other attributes you want to show (as I did with city, state, for example).

telconfig1.jpg

Finished popup looks like this. Clicking on the phone number hyperlink will initiate a call (the actual behavior may be subject to the specific browser, enterprise / browser security settings, device, etc. But the tel: protocol is standard so should work in most cases).

telconfig2.jpg

EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, it works very well. Thanks, Chris!

0 Kudos
JonBrandt
New Contributor II

You can also take that same code, tel: {Phone}  and dump it into the "Link" field of an added image of your pop-up.  It can be a lot of fun depending on the image you choose for your link:)How to create a link to an image which auto places the phone number into you outgoing call screen

0 Kudos