AnsweredAssumed Answered

Illuminating polar regions in 3D webscene

Question asked by Cooper_Thomas-esristaff Employee on Apr 12, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 by KEkenes-esristaff

This question regards the webscene lighting model. I’m currently working on a Story Map Journal that focuses on human activity near the north pole. As the user scrolls through blocks (or "chapters") of written content, a companion map dynamically updates to show relevant data and areas of interest.

I'd like to use a webscene instead of a webmap for this project in order to minimize geographic distortion, to provide a sense of scale, and to allow for the display of features that wouldn't be visible with a polar stereographic/orthographic projection. Unfortunately, however, it is seemingly impossible to illuminate the entire north pole (or south pole, for that matter) using the webscene's lighting system. Even if I set the time to high noon in June or July, half of the pole remains obscured in darkness. I appreciate the realism, but in this case, it prohibits me from creating an effective webscene.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.00.15 AM.png

Is it possible to disable the realistic lighting engine so that the entire planet is illuminated, as in ArcGIS Earth, Google Earth, Google Maps, Bing Maps 3D, etc.? I suspect not, but I thought I'd ask. If any folks on the webscene product team are here, I’d kindly ask you to consider adding this feature in a future update, as it would greatly increase th !e utility of the tool.

Thanks!

Outcomes