Giving ArcGIS Earth another try now that 1.1 is released.

04-12-2016 03:40 AM
MichaelSebhat
New Contributor II

I am still experiencing dismal performance  - local shapes are slow, very slow to draw, ArcGIS services are even slower, and adding a WMS service is even worse. The TOC control for URL Map services with many layers and groups is broken as well! Am I missing something? I have a robust laptop (Dell M3800 workstation class laptop with i7 processor and plenty of RAM and high speed fibre broadband), is there a graphics processor setting or something I missed?  Any comments or advice? Anybody else experiencing this?  I can't even demo this without it becoming embarrassing to esri...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The specs are here, ArcGIS Earth | ArcGIS  and there is the link in the Hardware requirements to check for compliance.  Since it is graphics heavy, I would probably guess that video card and its ram could be a limiting factor.  I translate their "recommended" to minimum...and esri always recommends that you install the latest drivers from the manufacturer rather than letting your operating system do the updates.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We do appreciate the feedback. I also have seen that we need to improve the way that local shapefiles are draped on the Earth in AE.  It's something that we're already working on and will come out as we migrate onto the new Runtime platform later this year.

Can you please elaborate on how the TOC is broken?  I realize there is quite a bit of missing capability that some users expect from GE, but what specifically is blocking you?

When you are using ArcGIS services, are you talking about public basemaps or Esri services created by a user and shared through Online or from an on premises Portal?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree performance is terrible.  Lots of pauses and stops. 

0 Kudos
MichaelRouse
New Contributor

Yes, performance of the basemaps is very poor.  I waited well over a minute for the imagery to appear on my 25mbps connection and even then it appeared like a jumble of tiled images!  I've never experienced the same poor performance using the basemap imagery in ArcMap or ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yet I find it blazingly fast and see no difference in navigation between Earth and Google.  Strange

0 Kudos