arccatalog doesn't display at screen resolution

04-08-2016 12:44 PM
MatthewNoteboom
New Contributor II

On my PC ArcCatalog has a bug where it doesn't display at full resolution (the software itself, not data views). ArcMap sometimes does the same thing. I've attached at image of part of two windows: ArcMap functioning properly (at 1920x1080) with ArcCatalog alongside at whatever subsampled resolution it has adopted.

I am using a Dell laptop with Windows 10, with an AMD Radeon R7 M270 graphics card. I think the drivers are up to date. I think this issue also occurred with Windows 8.1 but it's been a few months since updating.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Latest version of arcmap?

Have you updated the video driver from the manufacturer's website lately? (although with Windows 10, this shouldn't be an issue)

If it is not a persistent issue, what are you doing when this occurs?

MatthewNoteboom
New Contributor II

Not QUITE latest of Arc I think. It's a one-year student licence while I'm studying a certificate course and I'm not sure I can update. I'm on 10.3.0.4322.

The video driver's been updated since the new year I think, so it should be good.

With ArcCatalog it's always like that, but ArcMap is only triggered to jump occasionally.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok.. that is recent enough... so unless you want to go through the 'updates' list I would live with it.  I would check your video driver for updates from the manufacturer since you said ... "I think"... instead of ...."I did"...

Since if is persistent with arccatalog and not arcmap, you could try to change rename your profile files (all those template things like normal.mxt etc etc) to get new ones generated.

Check with the course instructor since the institute would be able to advise on updates and their availability through their program.

And finally, I would advise against doing anything that isn't a "Need" rather than a "Nice" before contacting the course instructor and other students to see if anyone else is having issues.  There is nothing worse than having to make your final maps for a project with crayons because you decided to 'fix' the software.

0 Kudos
MatthewNoteboom
New Contributor II

The drivers are up to date. Not sure it's not 64-bit windows being picky about 32-bit and 64-bit applications...

Edit: Not sure it's that particularly, but it IS a windows display setting with some recent versions.

0 Kudos