Arc GIS 10.x Failing to load

04-08-2016 06:24 AM
RobertMusick
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with our installation of ArcGIS.  I installed ArcGIS 10.3 test and worked fine.  The application loaded (ArcMap) with no problems.  Several days later when I try to run ArcMap it would load and was EXTREMELY slow, then it would go away, never load, no error messages.  I installed ArcGIS 10.4, got the same exact problem.  The Image was fully patched, with all of Microsoft's  updates when it was working, so doubt very seriously it was a patch.

I tried the suggestion here, but did not work:

ArcMap 10.1 crashes upon opening

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

So you did do a full uninstall of ArcGIS before re-installing a new version? And, from looking at that thread, you did go in and modify your computer's registry? Maybe you can list for us some of the steps you took plus list your computer's specifications.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

moved to ArcGIS for Desktop Installation support​ to get better coverage for the question.

0 Kudos
RobertMusick
New Contributor

I completely removed it, but I don't believe that is the issue.  ArcGIS10.3 appears to be working fine and then several days later it stops working.

I went to the link in the OP, and deleted the mentioned registry keys.

The workstation is a HP 8000 elite:

8GB RAM

1TB HD

Core 2 Quad Processor

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert, at this point, it may be worth contacting Esri support. That type of behavior does not sound normal.

0 Kudos
RobertMusick
New Contributor

I did, no luck

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow, that is not good.

Take a look at the thread here:

Uninstalling/reinstalling Version 10.1

It is related to 10.1 but I would imagine the same ideas would apply to 10.3. It takes some invasive tinkering with your computer, but it sound like at this point, it may be worth it.

0 Kudos
TatyanaDeryugina1
New Contributor II

Robert, I had the same problem with 10.3 (and also tried to install 10.4 to fix it). Moreover, ArcCatalog would start, but ArcMap would not. I followed the instructions in the link Adrian mentioned above and it solved the problem, so I second his suggestion.

0 Kudos
RobertMusick
New Contributor

Thanks, we found a workaround for the moment.  If the problem creeps up on other systems, I will definitely do what is suggested above.

0 Kudos