Check if points are snapped to lines

Jump to solution
04-06-2016 03:26 PM
ReneeGerasimtchouk
New Contributor III

Is there a way to check if points are snapped to lines without having to export to geodatabase then creating a topology? Also, bulk snap these points?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Renee,

You should look at ArcToolBox >System Toolboxes > Editing Tools > Conflation > Snap

Snap—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

there is Finding dangles on line features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop but I doubt you have that

you could use Feature Vertices To Points—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and just get the dangle points

or Extending multiple lines—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop but there are limitations again

so that probably leaves you with what you don't want to do, unless there are some free tools at www.ian-ko.com

0 Kudos
ReneeGerasimtchouk
New Contributor III

I'll read up on these for future use, thanks !

0 Kudos
ReneeGerasimtchouk
New Contributor III

I would like to check if my valves are snapped to pipes in my SQL Server database w/o having to export to geodatabase, create topology and check that way and also move any valves within a certain tolerance to snap to the pipe without having to do them individually.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

oh grief... now server is thrown in.. perhaps someone else in your similar situation migh have a workaround since none of the others are of use to you

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Have a look at What are geometric networks?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  these are designed for utilities. You may also be interested in The Local Government Information Model—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop.​ The easy way to find valves intersecting lines is a select by location, not fool proof but would give you an idea.

ReneeGerasimtchouk
New Contributor III

I did create a geometric network, but needed to snap valves automatically instead of one by one and I was trying to do this inside SQL Server rather then having to export to geodatabase for the network.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Renee,

You should look at ArcToolBox >System Toolboxes > Editing Tools > Conflation > Snap

Snap—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

ReneeGerasimtchouk
New Contributor III

Interesting...I tried the SNAP yesterday and got an "ERROR 000800 The value is not a member of END I VERTEX I EDGE" so I thought it wouldn't work. I went ahead and filled in the TYPE and DISTANCE and ran the tool anyway and it seemed to work...don't know why the "ERROR" message was shown. Thank you !