change number of decimals on graticule

04-03-2016 08:27 AM
MatthewNoteboom
New Contributor II

I'm adding a UTM measured grid to a map in ArcMap, and for some reason it seems to think it make sense to display 6 decimal places (all zeroes) after each label. Apart from this being a ridiculous default, I can't find a way to change it anywhere!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

It is not obvious, but the extra zeroes can be eliminated by changing a setting that is buried in the Graticule properties.  I don't remember exactly which setting it was (and don't have the software in front of me at the moment), but there is a setting that can be changed.

I'd suggest going into Data Frame Properties, click on the Grids tab, highlighting the Graticule you want to modify, then clicking on the Properties button.  Then walk through the tabs, which looks exactly like when one is stepping through the wizards.  The setting that changed it was not on the tab one would assume it should be on. It was called something like "font" or "style" and it was small and easy to miss.   It will take a bit of poking around, but it is there.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

MatthewNoteboom
New Contributor II

Thanks, found another similar post (don't know why it took so long to even find this post): How to Remove Decimal Points From Measured Grid Units

It's buried way more deeply that it should be...and I still think 6 decimals is a pretty silly default.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The 6 default I suspect if for decimal degrees, it would be nice if a check was done for projected data to set it to 0